POSITION: SQL DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
DEPARTMENT: STATE SUPPORT STAFF
REPORTS TO: STATE SITE LEAD
LOCATION: TALLAHASSEE, FL
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: FULL-TIME (up to 2,080 hours per contract year)
EXEMPTION STATUS: EXEMPT
This role is supporting ICS’ state government agency in Tallahassee Florida. The Agency’s Database Team supports all of the Department’s Mainframe DB2 and SQL Server Databases to ensure all are available and running 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The team monitors the Databases for slow running queries, data, and/or database corruption, in order to correct any problem(s) in a timely and professional manner, minimizing impact to the users. The Agency’s Team works closely with Application developers to ensure data integrity when application changes are made.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The SQL Database Administrator position will support the Agency’s Mainframe DB2 and SQL Server environments, and will be responsible for supporting these environments, working closely with applications staff, as well as providing a high level of customer support to the Agency’s user community. The chosen candidate shall report directly to the Database Section-Systems Programming Administrator, and may be assigned other tasks and/or projects, as needed by the Agency’s Office of Information Technology.
The scope of work includes the following:
- Analyzing developer’s needs for new objects and making recommendations as to the most efficient way to implement the requirements and making changes as needed to ensure optimization.
- Coding stored procedures, triggers, and views using Ansii standard SQL and SQL Server Transact SQL.
- Develop and maintain technical specifications, standards, procedures, and techniques for collecting, processing, storing, and distributing data.
- Develop and maintain processes that optimize databases and queries to ensure timely response times are kept to a minimum.
- Analyze DB2 and SQL database issues and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve the issues to minimize impact on users.
- Create SQL Server Integration Systems (SSIS) Packages to push data to SQL server databases from IBM mainframe DB2 databases.
- Write SQL Server Powershell scripts to be used to monitor SQL Server database activity.
- Create Linked Servers to obtain data from multiple SQL databases.
- Administer SQL Server security as needed to applications programmers.
- Develop and maintain database and warehousing designs across multiple platforms and computing environments.
- Develop an overall data architecture that supports the informational needs of the Agency in a flexible but secure environment.
- Create Linked Servers to obtain data from multiple SQL databases.
- Create and maintain DB2 and SQL Server indexes as needed to improve the
- performance of the the Agency’s applications.
- Restore DB2 and SQL databases when requested.
- Refresh Development and Test DB2 and SQL Server environments with production data as needed for testing out program changes.
- Create SQL Server indexes, as needed.
- Refresh Development and Test SQL Server environments with production data, as
- needed, for testing out program changes.
- Capacity planning
- Designing and developing reports and handling ad-hoc data requests
- Supporting production environments
- Documenting systems and processes
- Providing on call support
Provide the following deliverables per direction of and assignment by the Agency Project Sponsor and/or the Agency Project Manager:
- Database design documentation
- Best practice and suggestions for SQL Database design
- Backup and maintenance plans
- Status documents
- Other deliverables as assigned
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to communicate in the English language clearly via written and spoken word to multiple stakeholders including peers, mid-level and senior leadership.
- Accomplish all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
ICS is seeking one full-time, on-site, Database Administrator. The position and associated skills are described below and must be verifiable in the candidate’s resume:
- Minimum of 5 years DB2 administration experience.
- Minimum of 5 years SQL Server administration experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of BMC utilities experience.
- Minimum of 3 years SQL Server Integration Systems (SSIS) Packages experience.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics.
Preferred candidates will also meet the following criteria:
- Experience with data administration in a multi-tiered environment (DB2 and SQL).
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with DB2 Version 10.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience administering SQL server 2005 / 2012 databases.
- Experience migrating legacy databases to SQL 2012.
- Experience with writing, testing, and executing SQL and T-SQL code.
- Experience analyzing SQL and DB2 database objects to include indexes, stored
- procedures, and views for optimization purposes.
- Experience preparing status reports and providing management briefings.
- Certification is a plus; MCTS, MCITP, MVP
Note: Any contractor with access to the Agency’s network is required to complete the Department’s Security Awareness Training within 30 calendar days of contractor’s start date. Additionally, the successful completion of a Level II Background Check is required prior to accessing the Agency’s network.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with advance education in fields related to position or equivalent experience
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the English language.
At ICS, employees are afforded the benefit of a stable growing company with an opportunity to see where their contributions make a positive impact on customers and the company each and every day.
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. extends equal opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual preference, disability, status as a covered veteran or any other legally protected status. This is affirmed in our policies and in all of our employment decisions and personnel actions including compensation, benefits, promotions, training, terminations, social and recreational activities.
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. adheres to the principles of equal opportunity employment and takes affirmative action to provide opportunities to women and minorities, persons with disabilities and certain covered veterans. ICS provides reasonable accommodations to disabled individuals and protected veterans who identify their status and specify their need.